One of the best ways to explore and experience the true essence of America is to plan a coast to coast epic and unforgettable road trip. Planning a road trip for around some of the most spectacular destinations that cover the West to East coast of America is both exciting and daunting. In order to complete and enjoy the road trip, you need to at least plan the itinerary for 3 to 4 weeks. We have curated a perfect guide for you to plan a road trip on a budget along with some amazing and popular attractions that you can enjoy on your way. So, let us pack up and start the ignition.
Before starting your epic road trip let us plan on how to make it budget-friendly and economic. Who doesn’t want to save extra bucks, right?
1) Plan A Budget: Creating a budget is of utmost importance. Calculate the number of days and the distance you will be covering during your road trip and start planning your expenditure on gas, food, lodging and tickets. Make sure to set a priority and assign money accordingly.
2) Save Money On Gas: In order to save money on gas then make sure your vehicle is of topmost quality. Make sure that you maintain a steady speed while driving this will save you a lot of fuel. Try to explore the area on your feet and park your car wherever necessary. Try and search for hotels or lodges that provide you with gas cards.
3) Store Lots Of Food In Advance: Pack your car with healthy and light snacks prior to starting your journey. Snacks like granolas, nuts, biscuits, chips will help you in avoiding impulse food purchases. Do not forget to stack enough water for your journey and try and fill up your water containers at the hotel where you take a stop and you will save a lot of money.
4) Try Camping: Camping can be a great option to save money and avoiding spending too much on lodging and it will also be a great adventurous experience. Bring along a small handy grill to prepare a quick meal and our Radiate Portable Campfire to relax by. No need to worry about buying firewood, just simply light the paper briquettes to ignite. Our portable campfire is only 8” in diameter so it will barely take up any space in your car, unlike bulky firewood that can really make a mess.
5) Hotel Bookings: When you have decided about the destination and you have selected the cities where you will be making a stop. The best option is to make prior hotel bookings and make sure to check the free cancellation policies. This will surely save you a lot of money and you will be under no pressure to reach the hotel.
6) Other Important Things: Make sure to carry your phone, camera and laptop charger and also a power bank in case of emergencies. Try searching about the place more on official websites and learn about them and if they offer any free days for tourists. Along with food do not forget to pack basic spices and utensils.
Start Your Journey From The Scenic Santa Monica
Santa Monica is a vibrant, relaxed and calm town having perfect options for dining, shopping or just having a laid back evening by the beach. The topmost attractions that you can visit in the town are the Pacific Park, a complete family entertainment spot where you can enjoy thrilling rides and relive some fond childhood memories. The most visited place in the town is the Santa Monica Pier, which is identified for the spectacular beaches and the giant ferry wheel. You can find budget-friendly places to stay near the pier and some great food options.
This city of stars is just an hour away from Santa Monica and is surrounded by stunning beaches and amazing architectural marvels. The city is packed with fun and exciting things to do and places to visit, if you have time you can make a stop for at least two to three days in the city. The topmost attractions in the city include world-renowned Hollywood hills, the high-end shopping street Rodeo Drive, Michelin star restaurants, the spectacular Warner Brothers Studio, and a stroll on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
After driving for around 5 hours from Los Angeles you will enter the city of vibrant Sin City. Las Vegas welcomes you with towering complexes, opulent casinos like Caesar's Palace and the MGM Grand. The city is famous for its nightlife and the flamboyant vibe. There are some great food options in Las Vegas that offer you some of the most delectable meal. One of the most favourite places of tourists as well as locals is the In-N-Out Burger for its tempting classic American patty burger. You have to make a stop here and try to believe it. You can plan to make a stop in Las Vegas for a day and have fun.
Grand Canyon National Park:
This spectacular park is around 4 to 5 hours away from Las Vegas. The breathtaking Grand Canyon National Park is coveted for being one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World. There are several activities that you can do in the park-like hiking, climbing, witnessing spectacular waterfalls and enjoying several water activities. The park has also been included in UNESCO's World Heritage Site list. In the nearby area, there are very affordable places to stay with quality services and facilities.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
The historic town of Santa Fe is about 7 hours away from the Grand Canyon National Park. The city is a perfect blend of modernity and old-world charm. Santa Fe has spectacular art galleries and stunning displaying art from all around the world. The most visited places in Santa Fe are the Cathedral Basilica of St Francis of Assisi, Palace of the Governors and the Canyon Road. The town has a laid back and relaxed vibe. There are people of diverse culture and traditions that inhabit Santa Fe, the two prominent cultures are Hispanic and Native American.
From the historic city, you can drive straight into the "Live Music Capital" of the world. Austin has something to offer to everyone from architectural marvels to the stunning Colorado River. The capital city of Texas welcomes you with tempting food joints, museums and lush green parks. You can visit Sixth Street in the evening to enjoy some live music and gobble some tempting food options.
New Orleans is one of the most popular destinations in the world. The city is around 8 hours away from Austin. The city is known for the architecture, food and great music. There are many great attractions to see in New Orleans. You can cruise on the calm Mississippi river, stroll and enjoy Bourbon Street. The city is a melting pot of many cultures which is vividly reflected in its cuisine, architecture and lifestyle. The topmost attractions in New Orleans are the exquisite French Quarters, the Gumbo Shop, Museums and Cruise on the river.
From one musical city, we move to another iconic city known to be the producer of best country artists and music. Nashville is a city that is deeply rooted in its culture the Grand Ole Opry is a classic example. The city is blessed with picturesque landscapes making it all the more spectacular and stunning. You can visit the iconic Country Music Hall of Fame or explore the liveliest location in Nashville, Broadway. You can enjoy shopping, sightseeing, a grove to some live music and food.
The capital city of the U.S. is undoubtedly the most intriguing place in the world. Washington D.C. has three major US government buildings which are the Capitol, Supreme Court and the White House. The city also has several iconic buildings like the National Museum of Natural History, the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument to name a few.
The Grand Finale- New York
The city of dreams is one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world. New York is diverse, fascinating, surprising and warm all at the same time. Deciding from where to begin the exploration journey is a daunting task as there are so many amazing options. The topmost attractions are the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, Washington Square Park and Grand Central Terminal to name a few. There are many tempting and delectable food options available in the city, the two major spots where you can find some of the best food options in New York are Essex Market and Coney Island.
You can decide upon the duration of your stay in these cities as per the time crunch and your priorities. Don’t forget to bring a Radiate or two with you on your road trip! Whether you are camping or just sitting down to enjoy one of the many scenic views on your trip, our portable campfires can help create the perfect ambiance.
We hope that this guide helps you plan the perfect road trip on a budget.